Sunday, February 9, 2014

Grandma Mary's sugar Cookies

With Valentine's Day next week, I thought it would be fun to make some heart shaped sugar cookies. Yes I know that yellow isn't considered a "Valentine color" but I had yellow icing from Christmas in my freezer so I just used what I had. This recipe is THE BEST sugar cookie recipe out there! It was my husbands' Grandmas' recipe. She passed away four years ago this Wednesday. So making these cookies is also a good reminder of her. Don't worry, I made sure it was ok with the family before I put this recipe up for the whole world to see:)
In your mixer, use the paddle attachment to cream the shortening and sugar together. 

Until it looks like this

Add eggs, and milk; Mix

Add vanilla, lemon extract, salt, and baking powder; Mix 

Add Flour

You want it to look like this when you are done.
Put in the refrigerator to cool for one hour.

Roll out onto a floured surface

Cut your shapes,

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 min

Decorate as desired and enjoy!

These cookies are awesome, with or without icing. My husband doesn't care for icing so unless I have icing already made to ice one when I want one, we just eat them plain. And they are just as good!

Ingredients:
2 C. Sugar
1 C. Shortening
3 Eggs
1 C. Milk
1 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Lemon Extract
3 tsp. Baking Powder
5 C. Flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Cream shortening and sugar together.
  3. Add eggs and milk
  4. Add vanilla, lemon extract, salt, and baking powder
  5. Add flour and mix well
  6. Cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
  7. Remove from fridge and roll out onto floured surface
  8. Cut into desired shape and place on a cookie sheet(greased or lined with parchment paper or silicone baking liner)
  9. Bake for 8-10 min
  10. Remove from oven, let cool, and decorate as desired. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment